View Single Post
Old 05-06-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: The last big fight De La Hoya - Mayweather

[ QUOTE ]

Mayweather really didn't look that impressive to me. Sure, he was great on defense making DLH not land anything real solid. But anemic on offense for most of the fight until DLH started to get tired. Which was almost too long to wait. I don't care if he landed over 50 % in a round where he only throws 20 punches compared to 50-60 for the other guy who, though his % is lower, is still landing about the same amount. That's not winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

from my vantage point, with the exception of 3 middle rounds mayweather's punches did a lot more damage than de la hoya's. on many occasions de la hoya would come in for a flurry and mayweather would jab him and cause him to stagger or delay his attack, then would follow iwth a right to push him back. in rounds 7 8 and 9, it seemed that de la hoya wouldn't let mayweather hit him with that jab as he came in, and would actually be able to land a few punches in his attacking flurries that seemed to ahve some effect.

i mean, you can lament mayweather's style in this match, but you cannot say that his punches were having no effect. if anything, it was de la hoya that was full of sound and fury that signified nothing.