View Single Post
Old 05-06-2007, 01:49 PM

Default Re: OT: Books That Have Made The Most Positive Impact on Your Game

In approximate order

-- Doyle's chapter on NLHE in SS is the best and most influential.

-- NLHTP is also excellent and rivals SS as a guide to NLHE cash games.

-- "Making the Final Table" by Lindgren tells you how to play players and situations in major tournaments. Learned a lot about how to play small ball.

-- "Sklansky on Poker" is the bible is you want to play razz.

-- HOH 1 & 2. The text parts are very good. A classic work. The problems are uneven. Part of the weakness may be Harrington's style: he seems good at the math and strategy, but he plays tight because he is not as good at postflop play.

-- Other articles in SS2. Todd Brunson's chapter on Stud/8 and Jennifer Harmen's on limit holdem are excellent.

-- "Tournament Poker" by Sklansky. Only about 1/4 of it is on NLHE. Also, it constantly emphasizes playing to survive. Still some key concepts.

-- SSHE is excellent. I got some important ideas out of it, but I don't play loose limit holdem games much.

-- "Play Poker Like the Pros" is a good beginners book. The material on NLHE and tournaments is excellent so far as it goes. I think the book got a bad rap because the limit holdem section advises a hyperaggressive style, which is correct for tight games, but ridiculous for loose low limit games.

-- The book on playing O/8 and Stud/8 for Advanced Players. You really need it if you are going to play those games.