View Single Post
Old 05-05-2007, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Mental Toughness

[ QUOTE ]
We spend a lot of time talking about analysis, game theory, odds, reading hands, etc. As much as I believe that being a strong technical player is essential to becoming a winning poker player, sometimes I feel that is not enough.

Some days, I find myself becoming weary and unfocused, in games which I need to be playing my A game. I also have caught myself becoming excessively loose in a very easy game, one in which a TAG style is much more appropriate.

I have come to the conclusion that some days are just not good days to play. My question is this:

1. What do you do if you are just not feeling right during a especially good game?

2. If you are on a bad losing streak, what are some things that you do to help keep yourself motivated and focused? (Like multiple losing sessions - over a few weeks or a month)

3. How can you improve your "mental toughness" on the felt?

Thanks for your thoughs

[/ QUOTE ]

1 I quit. If I can not play well its not a good game.

2 I analyze hands and look for ways to play hands/situations better and then I implement them. It is easy to play well when you are running good. When you are running bad is when you can really find ways to improve your game.

3 Put things in perspective. Dont focus on results. Some of the hands that please me the most are hands that I lost but played really well.