View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Re: Gripes with Formal Education

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You'd be surprised what you retain. You're also learning how to cram; an important skill. You're learning how to extract the core facts from a curriculum's, a skill that will serve you well later in life

[/ QUOTE ]

Cramming is absolutly the worst way to retain information. Your memory retains what you learn by repetition as well as the amount of interest you have in the subject. "Cramming" information will stay in your short term memory and if you do not recall that information again sometime soon it will be lost. I remember learning about proofs in high school and im pretty sure I got an A on the test for it. But if you ask me to do one right now I would have no clue because i had no interest in it and I havent used that information since the test. So it goes to show that my test grade was basically meaningless because it does not show my mastery of the subject but that I can recall information from the night before.

[/ QUOTE ]who says we want to retain information? We just want to pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the problem with the education system is that we put the focus on only passing. That is why our country is falling so far behind other countries in terms of math and science because we dont have anyone knowing anything simply passing the tests and losing when they go against someone from another country that truly knows what they are talking about. Retaining information is how one gets truly successful. If you don't retain anything you read in a poker book that information is useless to you except the day you read it.