View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 02:12 PM

Default Re: What makes someone Upper rather than Middle class?

[ QUOTE ]
Max Raker,

Nope, I lived in Northern Virginia, and went to high school in Alexandria. Full of old money and verrry old, beautiful houses, boarding schools, churches, and obviously politics.

Tagtastic & Britspin,

I think that your's is very accurate Tag, unless you live in an area of the country with a lot of old houses (i.e. Alexandria), your mansion is probably going to look like that. We don't have houses like that in America, Brit! Maybe as people's country homes in places I've never been? And I think that your M/C -> U/M/C distinction is perfect, because I would describe my family as UMC and our house is relatively similar, same with NLS and my best friend back home's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh that's partly my point. i don't think that there is anyone who can easily be described as "upper class" in America. Maybe, maybe, a few families in the NE of the US who trade mostly on inherited land wealth and familiy name. The Astors and so forth, people like that.

For clarity, I think that this is a very good thing for America. Not having a landed gentry is a wonderful thing.