View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Re: \"You\'re Freaking Crazy\"

Solo,

with a little creativity, f**k can be used as everything but a gerund (sp?)...and a pronoun, obviously.

me, i have no objections to common curse words like f**k, sh*t, d*mn, etc. i have a lot of problems with how our culture has turned them into taboo. i mean, [censored], it's just a word.

my linguistics prof in college used to tell a story about how certain curse words became taboo because when the Anglos or the Saxsons or someone (i have no idea which, really) conquered someone else, the new ruling class lived in the castles and whatnot while the conquered peoples lived out in the fields. so (to use a simple and probably inaccurate example...but you get the idea), the ruling class would call something p**p, while the lower class would call it sh*t. it wasn't a vulgar word in the fields, it was just a common aspect of their language. but, if you were to hang out in the castle, you couldn't use the vernacular of the peasants, naturally, as that was considered vulgar and uncouth. so that became cursing. essentially, it stems from class oppression.

the above paragraph is second-hand from my old linguistics prof. i haven't researched it on my own...so...yeah.

personally, i stay away from words that have real negative connotations, like cultural slurs and uses of various names of divinity in vain, like g*ddamn. but i have no problem calling someone a f*cking piece of sh*t....assuming, that is, they are a f*cking piece of sh*t