View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Re: \"You\'re Freaking Crazy\"

[ QUOTE ]
This is actually a really interesting topic to me. I am against cursing in front of children. Mostly because if children learn curse words before knowing what they really mean, then they are more likely to use them in inappropriate situations such as in the middle of a restaurant or at school.

However, I'm also against curse words, in general, because I think they're sort of raping our language. So many people have tightened vocabularies thanks to the fact that "f***ing" can be used not only as a verb,noun,adjective, conjunction, exclamation, adverb (maybe? haha), etc....but also because people plug it in for all sorts of meanings within each category.

So yeah, I don't like how indescript things become when people rely heavily on curse words.

That explanation may seem a bit unnecessary given the original post, but I think it best explains my I am against it. And, as you may guess from my explanation above...Yes, I think that it is better (and okay) to use freaking than the alternative. However, I'd much prefer to have my kids learn useful adjectives and other words so they don't become reliant on "freaking" (and then later, reliant on "f***ing").

Additionally, I agree with McGee on the point of "freaking crazy" being a bit excessive. It is incredibly harsh to say, and something that children, certainly, should not be throwing around lightly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but since it's the spirit that's being critiqued, the words are not so important, and shouldn't be treated so centrally. If you want to critique the spirit behind words, it's the spirit that matters. You can say terrible things with wonderful words. So addressing the behavior seems more appropriate than worrying too much which words are used.