View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Please respond: a short fiction piece

Bleh. It seems really obvious that most readers are passing over the fact that he is deaf. My contention to this is that a few people got it really easily. I think the story loses some of its effect if I make it any more blatent than "She signed to him." This is quite a dilemma for me, as I feel that I am changing the meaning behind the story by forcing it out so openly.

I am torn. I have until Friday to submit this, but the numbers are piling up of people who aren't getting it the first time through. It seems that I'm going to have to do something to make it more obvious, and if that means revealing lamely "he's deaf" then it might have to be. Bleh.

I understand your sentiment about the detailed movements katy. The entire story is describing actions. The reason for this is that the story started as me having the idea of 4 or 5 steps that would have to happen chronologically. So, the entire story is just described with action sequences.

I will look at trying to edit that a little, and those two sentences in particular maybe. The problem is that my rough rough rough draft (haha), the one I wrote before the OP, had detail and was written better. It was also 300 words, so I had to cut it down a lot. Because of the word constraint, I kept all of the action...unfortunately it is all action now.

I will try and look at these things. Hopefully I can find a balance.

Thanks for the response katy and others! Greatly appreciate it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]