Thread: Animal Research
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Animal Research

[ QUOTE ]
But what is it about babies that makes it OK to test rats and not babies? The first reason to not test babies is because we wouldn't want them to be in pain. But why do we care about babies and not rats? The distinction seems pretty meaningless and arbitrary to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This blows my mind. Why don't the researchers test you for the benefits of humankind? Like KJS said, we're the advanced species and do things out of selfish instinct. If an AI comes from another planet and proves to be a more advanced species by having crazy weaponry and research method, I really can't do anything to lent myself to them, can I? Babies are so innocent and so helpless. How you gonna hurt a baby mang? HOWEVER, if we can experiment people that have been sentenced to prison for life with no parole, or are on the deathrow, then I'm all for it. Seriously, how you gonna hurt a baby mang?

[ QUOTE ]
would it be OK to specifically breed babies for science? For the sole purpose of testing them? If you maintain that its OK to do this with mice/rats and not babies, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you plan to do so? Pay some women to go through 9 months of labor and do research on them? I'm sure we could just post on Craiglist and have someone come in and have a baby. I don't think this would work until we can start cloning humans. How did this idea come about anyways? I thought you were some kind of econ major. I think a better question to ask in terms of research is stem cell, which was controversial since the beginning of this decade.

P.S: seriously, how you gonna hurt a baby mang?