Thread: Animal Research
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Animal Research

Humans are a more advanced species. We do things out of a selfish instinct (like other animals) but those things (unlike other animals) include more advanced methods, such as subjected non-human animals to testing. We are calculating in our methods, which differentiates us, and we are by and large protected from harm by the other species, which differentiates us. We also have a conscience which causes us to dwell on the ethics of these choices.

Personally, I do not identify with the pain and suffering of animals. Not exactly sure why. I would not want to see a dog beaten senselessly but I feel that as humans we have advanced to the point where if we see merit in subjecting other animals to pain and suffering to serve our purposes, we should. In doing so, we should also not overdo it so that it results in damages to entire ecosystems or species or causes harm to satisfy sadistic desires we may have or to merely make a profit. So I have a bigger problem with using animals to test lip gloss than understand neurology.

So I would have no problem with your rat example. Test away. I would view the baby as different because we are the same species and I think we should protect ours over others. I also would identify with the pain the human would go through and that would be emotionally troubling for me so I would not condone it.

KJS