View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 05:51 PM

Default Re: \"something that\'s already universally accepted \" ????

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whether poker or horse handicapping or sports betting are games of skill or not, I really don't see that as the point.

The point is that these crusading, self-important, do-gooder politicians need to get out of our faces and stop telling us what we can or can't do in the privacy of our homes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely right. But since the public doesn't know their rights, doesn't seem to care or wants big nanny government to blame it for their ills, the poker=skill argument is a good second defense against UIGEA.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't help the sports bettors.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does it not? Sports betting is clearly a game of skill. It's like poker without antes/blinds. If there are 50 college basketball games on a Saturday, even if 49 don't offer a +EV line and 1 does, a skilled handicapper can profit. Just as in poker, most people lose, but it is a game of skill and can be beaten.

BTW, I'm confident that a much larger percentage of poker players are long-term winners and I've seen that used as an argument against sports betting being included in a "carveout". That is silly because you can't say that a game is skill-based if 10% of players are LTW's and not if only 5% are (not the real numbers, just an example).