Thread: PAT
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Re: PAT

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shooting +15 for two rounds is all you need to do to become a pro? I'm confused.

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

A golf professional not to be confused with a professional golfer. 90% of what it takes to be a good club pro has nothing to do with if you can actually play. The only time that matters is "smoozing with members", perhaps picking up a little money in some section events, and giving lessons.

The giving lessons part is more about public perception than anthing else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I know the difference. I don't know--I'm just somewhat confused by the process. At my peak I could definitely pass that at my home course (was down to a 4.5 at one time), but I would never consider myself qualified to be a club pro. At the same time I know of great swing instructors who just aren't good players.

I guess I'm just surprised it has a playing requirement like that. I would have expected either a very strict one (maybe 10 strokes better over 2 rounds) or none at all (more about passing knowledge tests, less emphasis on playing).

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to pass the PAT to start working on the PGA books. The program is called GPTP (golf professional traning program). It takes a few years to finish. I finished in 4 but I have heard that people have done them in 17 months. I think the PGA gives you 8 years to finish. If you don't pass all the levels of the books and test by then, you start over. Most of it is busy work but I learned a lot about the golf business while working through the GPTP books.

and yes the PAT is easy. I think too easy but after playing in one and looping for a few of my friends I saw that I am much better than most people that want to become golf professionals. I worked with a guy that took it almost 30 times before finally passing by 1. And I have a roommate that has taken in about 5 and only come close once.

I think I passed mine with 7 shots to spare, and was the second lowest score at 1 or 2 over for 36 holes. That shows how bad most people are when I was over par and was 2nd out of 30. The only person that beat me worked there and shot 66 66 I think. Omni Tucson National in Tucson Arizona for those that care.

Oh and if I had it all to do again, I wouldn't.