View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 06:14 AM

Default Re: ACers; personal preferences

Drugs: drugs can be great things, if chosen, treated and used correctly. I have used psychedelic mushrooms. Drugs can be very harmful if chosen, treated and used incorrectly. But that goes for just about anything.

Abortion: I view moral agency (and the resulting negative rights theory) as a sliding scale between full moral agency (a ~14 year old healthy person) and property (at the age of abortion: a piece of meat with the mental capacity of an earthworm). So I view the immorality of mistreatment of agents with a varying degree of their moral agency. To conclude: I really couldn't care less what you do with earthworms. On the other hand I have an big respect for people's property, and parents value their offspring *highly*; probably more than anything.

Charity: I view charity as creating a dependency-relationship. I you want to help people you want to make sure that they have relationships of value. For example if they work, it's win-win. So I think it's much more helpful to be an entrepreneur and create jobs.

Homosexuality: I don't intend to beat people's natural values out of them. In fact, quite the opposite.

Environment: all the stuff you see people doing today to 'help the environment' seems utterly moot to be. The real problems are much bigger than all the stuff you can do yourself. It has to do with property, ownership, and the problem of the commons.

Guns: at this moment I'm still scared of lethal guns. I would much prefer to have a defensive weapon myself. For example: rubber bullets or, even better, the ones that shoot little packs of sand that have the impact of a professional boxer giving a hit. On the other hand I do see the value lethal guns have of the potential to scare off people who want to hurt me or take my property (because they are simply risking more).