View Single Post
Old 04-29-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Playlist of Depressing Music

[ QUOTE ]
Grandma, Croce is very good for this kind of thing. A lot of his songs seem to have a sort of, I dunno, aural glow or something, WTF, of implied loss about them. They felt lived in, suffered through, come out the other side of but with some sense of maturely juggled ache and refusal to turn away and bury feeling.

I'll nominate his "I've got a name." Whether one spiritually has a name or not, you'd think, shouldn't even be a question, should it? But in the only world we've got, it is. Grabbing one's triumphs or even ability to steadfastly continue even while acknowledging one's losses, bewilderment, and pain, strikes notes of individual struggle, fear, understanding, and relief.

Croce's songs often seem to be at odds with themselves. Even his very well done but seemingly straight forward songs about love like Time in a Bottle both seem to declare tremendous love and imply that its accomplishment might be impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Jim Croce