Thread: Course Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Course Thread

[ QUOTE ]
bonds - never played Gross, how does it compare to Meadowbrook/Wirth etc. for Minneapolis courses or to Braemar, which is where I usually play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Gross about 1000x better than Meadowbrook (ugh). I don't find Meadowbrook to be interesting at all, but I have to admit I haven't played it in a long time now.

Gross is also a lot better than Hiawatha, which really should be a good course. It just isn't. I've only played Wirth once and it was eons ago, so I can't really compare it. Have never played Braemar, no idea why.

Gross reminds me a lot of the U of M (Les Bolstad) Course. Not real long, lots of trees, not target golf, smaller greens. Old style.

Some thoughts on a few of the other Minneapolis/St. Paul area courses I've played:

Willingers in Northfield. I haven't played here for a couple years, but I've always been a fan. Well maintained, lots of wetlands and elevation changes for visual interest, challenging. The price is also a plus, under $50 green fee.

Chaska Town Course in Chaska. Arthur Hills design - maybe it's just me, but if you've played one Hills course you've played them all. They all have an 18th hole that winds around a lake. Okay, I'm exaggerating. Another sub-$50 value.

Eagle Valley in Woodbury. Not bad but nothing special, used to be a really good value.

Links at Northfork in Ramsey. I've always liked this course for some reason - maybe because it's links style and wiiiiiide open. Not the best choice on a windy day.

Last but not least -- I can probably comment on at least 20 more courses, but this is enough for the moment -- here's a controversial pick. My personal favorite course in the area is Mississippi Dunes in Cottage Grove. People tend to either love it or hate it. It's kind of an unusual design - 6 par 4s, 6 par 5s, 6 par 3s. A few holes play along the Mississippi River. There are a couple blind shots. Some wetlands. Lots of trees, long grass, scrub brush and other vegetation. No houses or condos. If you post a good number, you'll feel a sense of accomplishment - or maybe it's the post-round beer on the deck.