View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Suggestions/Discussion on Future Writing Competitions

Blarg,

I think we have very similar feelings about reading fiction; indeed, much that is published seems unbearable. (As Oscar Wilde once said, "All bad poetry is sincere.") I teach literature, but in the past few years, I have read, compared to others in my profession, little fiction. (I do, though, explore a bit now and then; last novel read was Pichard Powers' The Echo Maker, which I picked out based on the subject matter.)

Instead of fiction, I read poetry, though not overwhelming amounts, but mostly creative nonfiction, usually personal essays, memoirs, and the like. I think I have all of the volumes of Best American Essays since the series began in 1986, and I often pick up books by authors I first read in that series. Right now, I'm reading Through the Children's Gate by Adam Gopnick. I love the various essays I've read by David Foster Wallace and George Saunders. In addition, my favorite writers over the years have been nature writers: Barrry Lopez, Aldo Leopold, Thoreau, Emerson, Edward Abbey, Loren Eisley, and many others.

I'd like to see us try the personal essay, such as those written by Mrytle. The great thing about the personal essay is that you can start anywhere and go anywhere. No need to worry about plot or a direct line. And no need for the great message or theme.