Thread: Course Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Course Thread

[ QUOTE ]
If you're talking value, Papago in Phoenix is the lock down nuts.

Designed by the guy who did Torrey Pines in San Diego, which will be hosting the US Open this year. Its a Muni, but one of the best in the country.

Best course in Phoenix besides Desert Forest and for under $30

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, you had me at hello until that last sentence. I've played Papago probably 6-7 times already this year alone, including last Sunday, when I made their merchandise sales quota for the entire quarter by dropping $120 on them.

Papago could get near Bethpage and Torrey Pines recognition (bearing in mind that those courses were unknown to most non-local casual golfers before their renovations) if they decide on one of the several bids out on it right now. They've got enough land to stretch it to however long they want if so compelled, although it's plenty of test right now.

BTW, I have a friend who just wrote a book on the history of Papago and he's doing an autograph signing out there this Sunday at 5PM.

Brag: had the best round of my life out there last month, 68 with seven birdies (six of which came between 3 and 11), no gimmies, mulligans, or liberties taken, and the last two holes were in the dark with spotters watching/listening for my shots up ahead.