View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Professors calling you dumb

I'm semi-ok with this in Professional School. After all, I'll be pissed if my lawyer, or worse, my doctor doesn't know what's what.

That said:

1) Some profs suck. I've had profs who've made other profs (and students LDO) cry.
2) Some have complexes ("I have a PhD. I am so awesome and brilliant...unlike all of you").
3) Sometimes people aren't cut out for university, and I don't believe it's doing them a disservice to point this out.
4) Thank you for clarifying that science professors (and I'll lump _some_ math/comp sci professors in with this -- as that's somewhat where I'm headed) have important jobs.
5) I think some research is crap, but most fields have something meaningful at least tangent to it. Even if "meaningful" means "nice to record and pass along to future generations" and not necessarily "advances the human race" or "that requires brain function."
6) Some profs just can't communicate, and this causes many to (among other things) seem abrasive when they don't mean to be.

Lastly, it's harder than you may think to not play favorites. That's human nature. You want the annoying kid to mess up, and you want the girl next door to come through (meaning do well on the exam, obviously). Fair? No. Changeable? No. But, now that you are so well aware of what you're prof's style is (LAG?), you can adjust your style accordingly.

GL.