View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Re: How valuable are implied odds in stud?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Trencherman -

You bring up a very good point about not being exploitable to a reraise when you are raising from a steal position.

I have often been perplexed by that one in both stud hi and razz, because there are many situations in those two games where, if you play by standard 'book' advice, your opponents would appear to be +EV on a resteal with any 2 cards (this is especially common in razz).

I made a few posts about that in connection with razz (specifically when you should steal with the second to last low card in razz, and how bad a hand you should call with versus a resteal there).

I know for a fact I play exploitably in razz and probably stud hi in many of my steal spots (that is I fold to a resteal often enough that my opponent is +EV on restealing 100% of the time.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're asking questions that I actually know something about, lol. If you're exploitable to a reraise by atc in razz when stealing thru one last baby and the bring-in, then you may be stealing too often. Both the 'book' and experienced players know that you have to be judicious in your range of stealing hands, as the last baby will often reraise (or smooth call) and the bring-in will often call as well (whether it's correct or not). The more juice there is for you to steal, the more inclined they are to defend it (and correctly so).

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem in the razz case comes in high ante games.

Say it's a full 100-200 game as described earlier in this thread.

Once you make your completion, the final low card is getting 2.9:2 on a resteal.

So if you fold 41% of the time he shows an automatic profit.

If you are raising by the book standards of (Xb)c (where b and c are different baby cards and X is a random card), then your 41st percentile hand, starting from the worst and going down, is a ten low.

So basically if you fold more than a small fraction of your tens here (and the 'book' play is to fold all T's), then your opponent, shows an automatic profit reraising you with any 2.

You can tweak the numbers a little but that's the basic problem.