View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Re: How valuable are implied odds in stud?

[ QUOTE ]

These are exactly the types of comments I wanted to avoid by keeping the player and the limit disguised.

It's not worth going into but I really really don't think any of those factors are relevant here.

Phil plays a zillion tables and just tries to play his best game and he doesn't have any particular ego invested in a 1k-2k 8-handed stud hi hand. Metagame is just a non-issue here.

And I realize I'm just asserting rather than arguing this but it's not important enough to get bogged down on imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respect what you're trying to do here Mic by asking the question purely based on Value strategy. I just don't think you can make inferences about his hand having more value than you thought simply because he's a WC player and made this particular play (unless Phil happened to mention his own analysis to you over dinner sometime). If a donkey at 0.50/1 limit made the same play, would you be wondering if it was a good idea or not?

WC players make plays like this all the time, and it doesn't necessarily mean they honestly believe they have the pot odds or implied odds to make that one hand profitable in the long run. Reread Super/system or Gigabet's numerous posts to see what I mean. But even if we all agree that WE would be correct to fold here (and I think that's the majority opinion), it doesn't mean that HE was making a mistake by calling.