View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Re: lol kyro has a.....tumor?

Yikes! Did the doctor say anything about what having a tumor at your age means? I don't know anything about kidneys, but I did a quick wiki on kidney cancer and that is 1. very rare, 2. more comon in women 3. has some hereditary risk factors and 4. usually occurs in men > 55 (when it does occur in men). That was from a quick skim, but it does not seem to really fit your demographic at all, so my first guess would be that it is somoething else.

Whatever you were told it may be, I would start researching. Especially, I would start researching who the leading kidney experts are. In anything serious (or potentially serious) you really should do a lot of research, ask lots of questions, and get a second oppinion from an expert in the field. That will likely mean taking a trip.

Also, doctors generally do not understand statistics (this is based on studies, not my anecdotal evidence). What does he mean by 90% accurate? 10% chance of false positive? That doesn't even mean anything without prior probabilities.

Also, patients who ask a lot of questions and in general are a pain in the ass get better care on average. Again, this is from studies.

I doubt you will be able to relax until you at least know what you are dealing with, but researching and preparing will not only help your prognosis, it may also make you feel a little better since you will be doing something other than just waiting, which sucks more than anything.

Hang in there, even in the worst case your prognosis is probably very good, and you are probably not in the worst case scenario.

edit - I really should preview long posts