View Single Post
Old 04-25-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Obvious African scam, right?

So I get a phone call just now from my mom. One of her co-workers is in the process of getting scammed as far as I can tell. I'd like OOT's opinion on this that it is blatantly obvious. I don't have all the details, but it should be enough.

Co-worker meets random Spanish guy living in Africa online (not sure how). They have been talking via email and phone for 6 weeks, maybe longer. She is totally in love with this guy for some reason. Guy is working in Africa, but is now going to come to the USA to be with her.

He goes to the bank to withdraw his money and come to the States. He gets shot in/near the bank and all of his money is stolen. He doesn't die, but is in bad shape. Somehow, someone from the hospital or someone he knows sends her a fax explaining what happened. Asks her to wire $3,000 to some account so the hospital will operate on him. He supposedly said she was his wife to someone.

I mean, it isn't Nigeria (not sure of exact country), but this is a big [censored] scam, right? It is just so full of inconsistencies that it is amazing. I actually started laughing when my mom told me this story over the phone.

Her friend like "this guy" though and is obviously being mildly retarded and still unsure. Tell me I'm not wrong here and help me point out logical reasons why.

Edit: The country started with a G as far as I can remember.