View Single Post
Old 04-25-2007, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Creative Ways to Conduct War

My weirdest weapon is the Bat Bomb! My second choice would have been the catapult flinging dead bodies [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] (Hey, you gotta love that one!)

Bat Bombs
During WWII the United States had this idea to use bats as bombs to attack mainland Japan. The reasoning was that bats can carry more than their own weight in flight and can hide in secretive places. When I heard this I thought it was the weirdest idea in the world. I mean who is going to strap on tiny little bombs to all those bats? I had to look it up on the internet.

[ QUOTE ]

The plan was to release bomb-laden bats at night over Japanese industrial targets. The flying bats would disperse widely, then at dawn they would hide in buildings and shortly thereafter built-in timers would ignite the bombs, causing widespread fires and chaos. The bat bomb idea was conceived by dental surgeon Lytle S. Adams, who submitted it to the White House in January, 1942, where it was subsequently approved by President Roosevelt.[1] Adams was recruited to research and obtain a suitable supply of bats.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
One operator injected the solution in the delay [mechanism], another sealed the hole with wax, and another placed the surgical clip that was fastened to the incendiary by a short string. . . . The incendiary was then handed to a trained helper who fastened it to the chest skin of the bat.

[/ QUOTE ]

wikipedia article on Bat Bombs

AirForce article

Bat of choice: Free-tailed bat, weighing about 9 grams

The inventor of military napalm actually helped out on the project by designing the incendiary devices for the army. Later, when the bats accidentally set off a major fire at the army base in Carlsbad, NM, the navy took it over renaming it Project X-Ray. Cool name huh?

Sadly Project X-Ray was never used. What a waste of $2 million dollars. Seems they decided to go with a quicker end to the war, opting for the atomic bomb instead of the awesome bat bomb approach. Shame.