View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Continuation Bet on Loose Passive Tables

The bad: They are passive. They call to the river with bottom pair. Paraphrasing Brunson, "In a no-fold-em hold-em game, you need to show down the best hand to win. That's all there is to it."

The Good: They are passive and you have position. Free card them to death.

Hand One: I like a bet. This is an awesome spot for the free card play. Nice big pot, and your draws are strong. Spike a queen and get bet into.

Hand Two: I also don't see the need for a PFR here. Assuming that, in this game, you need to showdown the best hand to win, I'd just call 88 here.

Just calling preflop gives you so many more options post, since you're more likely to be bet into. Based on the board texture, you can fastplay, slowplay, or release cheap. This is one of those hands where I'm absolutely willing to forego my minimal PF equity edge in exchange for more tactical options postflop. Certain games, you'll even make more when you hit your set WITHOUT raising pre-flop.

But, as you played it, I'd take the free turn. You're probably going to have to show the best hand to win, and that hand will have to be a set.