View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Data-mining on PokerStars

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just know that if you choose to use one of these programs, you are outright defying a rule of the cardroom and gaining an unfair advantage against players such as myself. And get bent, and such.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. This forum gets it's ass twisted over a lot of [censored]. Ultimately, it comes down to the rules. Not only the rules of the games in general, but of the poker rooms where we choose to play them. If you choose to data-mine on a site that allows it, then that is alright. If you choose to data-mine on a site whose rules forbid it then you are cheating.

That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

To play Devil's Advocate, you're doing a disservice to yourself if other people are datamining you. If Stars is unable or unwilling to enforce the rule, you're essentially giving your opponents an edge (however small) for free.

"What if everyone broke the T&C and datamined?"
"I'd be crazy not to then."

Catch 22 and all that.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I experimented with datamining with an AHK script, but it was too clunky and clumsy to be worth it. Like many issues though, this isn't black or white and I don't really think either side is right or wrong.