View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Micro FR discussion

[ QUOTE ]
King spew's post is very motivating IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you.

I'm just passing it on. For me, without Tien's thread, I would still be on the 10NL and 25NL tables. Enjoying... but kinda treading water.

Take shots! Often. Challenge yourself once a month. Personally, I play 50NL/100NL tables all the time. But once a week, I'll play two tables at either 200NL or 400NL.

I'll tell you something about variance. It's a non-issue for me since I play overolled.

And it's a non-issue since I haven't played 25NL and under in a while.

Micro (under 50NL IMO) Variance.... well, I think it has something to do with you ability to NOT play some hands when the wrong situation shows up. I will OFTEN fold TP on the flop. I don't mess around with a 2 to a flush flop or three to a str8. Play poker on the other flops,,, these you leave alone unless they solidly hit you. I try NEVER to be the table cop.

Another way to think of variance. If you go five cycles around without playing a hand (nine handed), you're down 7.5BB. The vary next hand you pick up KK and 4XBB PFR and get two callers. Flop falls without an ace and you pot it,,, both fold. You're up half a BB playing 46 hands. Not bad for card dead really. I'm guessing in the next 45 hands, you get a few more hands to play..and win. What I'm trying to say is variance can be caused by playing marginal hands in marginal situations. If you are card dead, you are supposed to break even or lose a little. Don't force it! It's not really variance when you are playing when you shouldn't.... it's just bad play.