Thread: button vs SB
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 12:13 AM

Default Re: button vs SB

[ QUOTE ]
Why? Are you planning on betting the river UI? If not then you collect 2 bb. By just calling you gain potentially 2.5 bb(His check on the river could convince you that he was drawing and you occassionaly get an extra bb that way).

You will collect more bets by calling than by raising. Agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely disagree. Raising allows you to get more bets in the pot when you have good equity against a fair portion of his hands and prevents him from check-calling any streets with a draw. Like I said, I wouldn't raise the flop all the time (it's largely a function of what hands I feel he'd 3bet with so I can accurately determine my equity in the hand based on his flop action), but I would raise it sometimes. MANY small stakes players will 3bet PF here with AK and call you down after a flop raise, allowing you to net 3BB when you don't improve and more when you do (the specific card that hits limits your implied odds but still gives you fine effective odds most of the time).

Basically what I'm saying is that if you were to choose a street to raise based on the fact that your opponent continuation-bet a Q98 flop and you had J8 every time, I'd raise the flop rather than the turn and definitely rather than the river, and though I wouldn't raise the flop all the time, I find it to be a perfectly fine play.

Saying that calling wins more than raising here is genuinely misguided and gives your opponents way too much credit for finding folds on draw-friendly boards.

Rob