View Single Post
Old 04-22-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: kinda a newbie here

I can sympathise with your position (same job). I think first of all read as much as you can on this forum. Secondly all the 2+2 books are excellent esp. Theory of Poker, Small Stakes Hold em. Plus Harrington on hold em, at least the first two books.

Be careful with your site selection. I would steer clear of Pokerstars and Full Tilt, very stiff competition for the learner. Go to them when your a better player. Start with one of the Prima sites; there are plenty to choose from. Competition no too hard at micro stakes although there are some very good Scandinavian players higher up. Also Party Poker is pretty soft but no US players so less traffic.

You sound like your stuck in the weak tight rut waiting for premium hands and never really knowing how to play them. Maybe like me at first your not concentrating properly. Watch every hand see what the others players play and in what position. Make notes they are invaluable. Learn about position, dont be afraid to raise if you think they are weak. Sure you will suffer some bad beats but we all do.

Sometimes log on and watch someone who wins alot. On Pokerstars watch Shaundeeb, allinstevie, rekwob (sorry for all the quality players that I havent mentioned) and there are many more. Alright alot of what they do wont wash in micro stakes but you can see how they play in position and build and steal in tournaments. If you are not improving take sometime out watch some winning players and read alot. Then when you go back to the table apply what you have learnt.

You havent said what game you play but I'll assume its Hold em. Try branching out with the other forms. Pokerstars has some excellent freerolls to practice HORSE, Omaha etc. Stay tight for 30 mins until the gamblers have gone then they are good tournys. Different games teach you different aspects that you can apply to your Hold em game.

Good luck mate, hope it works out. Take care in Iraqistan.

Regards

Dag