View Single Post
Old 04-22-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Should I sell this position?

[ QUOTE ]
jz,

There is an objective/subjective conflict here.

Objectively:
The stock is in a huge uptrend, in a a recently uptrending industry- nuclear. EXC is the nation's leading nuclear plant operator. You have huge gains. Selling now requires that you judge how high it can go. Since you cannot know, you are best served by riding the trend. That means holding until the trend changes. Price is quite aways away from ANY kind of reverse of the long-term trend in this stock.

Subjective:
You describe your situation. Looking at this in isolation, it is easy to rationalize selling for a long list of good, subjective reasons.

It's not all of nothing. It's not hold-all or sell-all.

One way to ride the trend is to simply institute a plan to sell off x% every y weeks or months. For example sell 25% of the current position every 6 weeks.

In theory you can never be totally out the the stock with this approach.This allows you to meet both of your goals-- funding current expenses and continuing to participate in the uptrend.

EXC is really trending very strong recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another great post and maybe a really good idea in there. I like the idea of selling off this stock in maybe 20-25% chunks every couple of weeks and then reinvesting it into a S&P Index Fund thus diversifying my holdings. Maybe in the end I could hold on to the last 10-25% since I don't believe that this stock is done growing.