View Single Post
Old 04-21-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Ice Ages and Witch Doctors

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Where in the world do you think the most fertile land for growing crops is?

Could it possibly be next to the coast?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Next to rivers. Dunno about the UK, but most of the coast over here is either homes or beaches. The food all gets grown inland. I've never even heard of a seaside farm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up in Cornwall UK - and Cornwall is farming central. I'll concede the point that in places like the US the majority of the farmland might very well be inland.

Tho given that a lot of rivers run into the sea, is it not likely that a lot of good farmland will end up useless for farming as a result of a dramatic change in sea levels which will cause some rivers to flood, certainly places like Holland would be pretty much devastated and in the short term there might well be major food shortages in some places around the world.

Add that to water shortage problems - and several hundred million displaced refugees - many of them in third world conditions presently - with our continually dramtically increasing global population and it all adds up to a hell of a mess in a few decades time.

Right now we have the technology and the means to at the very least go some way to alleviating these problems, if not prevent some worst case scenarios altogether.

What are we doing? - arguing over whether the science is actually correct. Continuing to sell old dirty technology to emerging markets and continuing to deforest large areas of rainforest.

Just because this planet is a very large and diverse ecosystem it does not follow that it has an unlimited capacity to absorb the damage we help do to it everyday.