View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Personalities - Introvert or Extrovert?

I'd say it's very hard to pin things down on the internet. People often play out alternate lives in videogames, on chat tools like ICQ and AIM, and in forums of every and any kind. Like a drunk saying he didn't know what he's doing, I think that can be just a lame excuse, and the real person is still coming through most of the time, if only in the fact that a person chose to adopt a certain personality, and others would not make that choice. Being an internet a-hole, for instance, isn't a role disassociated from being a real a-hole. It's just being an a-hole with a really dumb excuse.

As to me being an introvert or extrovert, I'm not sure I agree with the terms. Or perhaps those terms seem to be applied too definitively to cover all situations. Maybe I'm a dead-evenvert, or, better, a situationalvert. I can be extremely introverted and extremely outgoing, depending on my feeling of security within a group, or concerns about whether being my natural, jokey self will be acceptable to a group. If people give the impression of being too stiff, humorless, or fearfully conformist, I'm sometimes at odds as to whether to break the ice or not. So in essence I make a conscious decision whether to be more or less intro/extro, and others probably do that all the time too.