View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Media Gives Mass Murderer His Dying Wish

No because he is not just criticizing it, he is admitting that a free market in news is often going to produce this particular negative outcome (not just the NBC is a crappy news station). Now this doesn't mean he can't also argue, eh, yeah it sucks but it is better than any alternative. He is not saying NBC sucks, I'd rather watch XYZ but that a free market where TV stations sell advertising by attracting visitors is going to lead to situations where news stations are profitable to the extent that they sensationalize and present a skewed version of reality ("if it bleeds it leads....")

However, I think you could also argue that the proliferation of blogs, podcasts, you tube videos, DIY documentaries, etc is good and that the free market will make corporate-controlled news irrelevant.

Personally i can't wait until that new subscription based news service that accepts no advertising starts. I'm brainfarting on the name of it now, but I know it includes both leftists (Howard Zinn, Naomi Klein) and some ACers on the advisory board.