View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Pay off house with windfall?

My mother was really sick a few months ago. Sick enough that she wanted to get her final affairs in order. She wants to split everything she owns three ways for her three kids. Problem is, she doesn't trust my brother with money. So she asked me to take his share and put it all into his house (it might not be enough to pay off the entire house, but it will pay off over 50% of the house). Those particular wishes of hers are not in writing.

I haven't told my brother yet.

So I have the ethical dilemma of whether or not I tell my brother or if I should do what my mother asks. (It doesn't seem fair that my sister and I may have a substantial amount of money to invest/pay off debts, but my brother only gets to increase the equity in his house.)

But I also have a financial dilemma. Regardless of the moral issues, I'm not sure if paying down his mortgage is in his best interest from a financial standpoint either.

Comments? Suggestions? If it helps, my brother is about 40, and probably makes between $40-50k/year. His house is probably worth over $250k, I think he bought it for $170k or so, though I don't know how much he put down. His 1/3rd share would be over $100k (I don't know exactly how much over $100k). He has credit card debt, but I don't know how much.

(This question is mainly hypothetical: my mother fully recovered and is in good health now.)