View Single Post
Old 04-15-2007, 11:28 PM

Default Re: *official 2007 red sox thread*

[ QUOTE ]
hansack has been sick so far this year but its just 10 IP and he wasnt great in AA last year. pecota thought he was terrible a month ago

his track record is so short that every single great AAA start he has really increases his stock. ppl loved him in spring training apparently altho he still didnt make the team

[/ QUOTE ]

He looked great last year in his late-season callup as well. He's such a weird case (out of pro ball for a while etc) that I'm not sure Pecota knows quite what to make of him.

The problem this spring with young guys making the team was there were too many older guys, guys with guaranteed contracts, guys who are friends with Manny, Rule 5 guys we have to keep or lose, etc. Corey probably deserved to make the club too, as did Hansack. And Lopez pitched well before he got sent down. It was just a question of who had options.

Snyder has showed flashes but I'm not optimistic, I think their best bet is to trade him and that's what they're working on. Romero and Pineiro are probably junk and at least one will be DFA'd or traded before the ASB.

What I like about calling up Hansack is that he's old (29), he's hot right now and most of the league hasn't seen him before. He's not a prized prospect, so if you call him up and he falls apart, oh well. So give him a shot and send him back down if he sucks.