View Single Post
Old 04-15-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Asians & Gambling

I've grown up around Korean, Taiwanese, Chinese, and Vietnamese Households. From what I've heard the Korean Culture is incredibly materilistic and sometimes shallow, Some of the things my friend told me about how the family would only care about the cute kid and the rest would be ignored. I don't know how I got on this topic, but during my teenage years my korean friend would gamble in our poker ring, probably lost 2-4k in 4 years or so, losing every night. Now he's an online pro that hates poker, but uses it to make a living, Another friend down the street Vietnamese and his brother and his little brother would always be down for big money blackjack, jacks or better, even holdem recently. Seemed like they had the gamble in there blood, and they were all in all good, not really action junkies, logical approach. Even there parents hit the boats every other week. My Taiwanese friend doesn't really gamble and my Chinese friend plays limit once in a while.

I loved playing in vegas at the mgm grand, the 40 year old vietnamese guy was always talking smack and I enjoyed the action.

And you can't dismiss the logical mathmatical mindset a lot of asians have, I know it goes completely against the loose play we speak of, but you also have to consider they usually work 4x harder then us ylow's in school or as my korean friend would get beat by whatever golf club his dad needed to work on.

Oh and I remember back in the day, i brought over some computer games, and my Taiwanese buddies dad broke them because he should be playing games he should be studying.