View Single Post
Old 04-15-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Looking down on smokers?

This is a little weird.

I look down on them if they're a stranger, and I don't think they're like bad people or whatever, but they're definitely considered of less strong moral and intellectual character and than someone who doesn't smoke.

I'm interested in stats in general on criminals to see if there's a higher percentage of criminals that smoke. Meh.

Also, I look down more on the younger smokers than older smokers, and elderly smokers I don't look down on at all.

If they're someone that I know, whether I like or dislike them, I don't look down on them for their smoking. This is largely because I probably am aware of other aspects of their identity that are more relevant to me at the time.

So yeah, young (less than 30) strangers yes, older strangers somewhat, and people I know, no.

In particular, I'm most likely to judge a young smoker as less trustworthy, less intelligent, and less kind, as someone who doesn't.

Some of this probably stems from the fact that the most visible smokers at high school had a few huge [censored] in their crowd.