View Single Post
Old 04-14-2007, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Bulking: Clean Diet?

Wow...I REALIZE he trys to save himself in the end. When he says it's basically overrated (IT ISN'T), when he reccommends pizza, beer instead of Chicken (pointless, unscientific), when he says he drank soda, ate fried foods and uses that as a model for a type of behavior I called him out.

All of that is bad advice. Regardless of what people think he meant, or what his last paragraph said. Please re-read this everyone:

[ QUOTE ]
With all due respect I'm going to have to completely disagree.

A: You can't force your body to grow more MUSCLE by simply consuming more calories. This is a myth. While you need to be eating enough to promote anabolism, you can't EAT EAT EAT and expect to gain more muscle. You will put on bodyfat. More food (more calories) does not equal more muscle growth. In my exercise science classes we called it a protein synthesis limit. I have heard it called others. Very basically the amount of muscle you can build is dependent on your body's capacity to synthesize new muscle tissue from the ingested protein. Assuming you aren't using steroids I don't believe (definitely not aware of any science) that allows you to change this limit.

B: Knowing what I said in A, I will attempt to make an argument for a clean bulk. Let's assume I have 12 months to add "as much muscle" as possible. Let's also assume at the end of those 12 months I want to "look ripped." So a general bulk then cut right? Put on a bunch of fat (and muscle) and then cut that bodyfat out. Something like 9 months of bulking and 3 months of cutting perhaps? Well, most people know it is damn near impossible to cut fat and GAIN muscle. Calorie restriction (needed for fat loss) just isn't very anabolic. So during that cutting phase you aren't adding muscle and might lose some.

C: Your right you need to get the calories in, but the idea that beer and pizza are going to be huge tools in your muscle building garage is just ludicrous. Obviously, I think you can "relax" your diet somewhat when trying to add muscle (I hate calling it bulking), but the implications of going all out crap food need to be known. It's just generally a crappy way to go about any goal unless your goal is obesity or diabetes.

[/ QUOTE ]