View Single Post
Old 04-14-2007, 04:55 PM

Default Re: The Dude Converts

I suppose, since we're on the subject, I'll share my story of when I realized I didn't believe in God.

I've never really had any strong feelings about my belief or nonbelief in God. I'm a senior in college now, and for the past two years I've been working toward my math degree. This drastically changed my thinking process, to say the least, specifically, it made me rethink why I believe things. Of course, the subject of God doesn't come up much in math courses, so I had never really given it any thought. Then, Daniel Negreanu asked Bill Chen if he believed in God. That sparked me to think about my belief in God in a mathematical context.

Well, I'm pretty confident that, as far as math is concerned, God doesn't exist. But that's a bit tangential to my point.

So I was walking one day, and I guess I had nothing better to think about, so I asked myself, "Do I believe in God?"
Yes, I thought. "Why?"
Because if I don't, I'm going to hell. But fear isn't a good enough reason to believe in God, IMO. It reminds me of the quote by JFK: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." I agree. We shouldn't be afraid of God. We should be afraid of being afraid of God. In that context, God seems like a tyrant. So my question "Why?" was left unanswered.

I don't believe in God because I have no reason to. Or at least, no reason that I deem worthy.

It's definitely an emotional experience.