View Single Post
Old 04-14-2007, 04:58 AM

Default Re: theblackkeys\' \"Starting Strength\" log

All right, so I have a previous right knee injury that is nagging me. I tore my meniscus about 10 years ago. It is cartilage, so it doesn't really heal. I was able to play both soccer and ice hockey within several months of the injury.

I was feeling good up until last week. When I flex and extend my right knee, I feel a little bumpage during the motion, like something is in the way. It got slightly painful and annoying after a long day of standing, and is just generally annoying while walking and standing.

I've had issues with my knee before I started working out, so it's not that ass-to-grass squats are harmful. My left knee does not have ANY issues. I am going to get an appointment with my doctor, and see what they get out of their tests.

I had MRI's taken 10 years ago when I initially injured it. What are the chances the old doctor still has my MRI images or my medical records? What are the chances that the doctor is going to tell me squats are dangerous for everyone?

Alright, for the time being, I'd like to alter my program. I will not be doing squats until after my doc apptmnt.
How should I alter my workout? What are some good leg exercises I could do to take the place of squats? I was thinking of doing stiff-legged deadlifts at least to work my hammies and glutes. Anything else that is good that does not involve a lot of knee movement?

Should I add more sets of regular deadlifts as well? The program only calls for 1 set.

Any other help would be much appreciated.