View Single Post
Old 04-13-2007, 10:36 PM

Default File Recovery after a System Recovery?

I don't know a lot about computers so forgive me if this sounds ignorant.

So I woke up today and my PC that I've had for a while took a giant dump. I had left it running and when I looked at the monitor there was a message on a black screen saying basically "sorry for the inconvenience but Windows didn't start properly" (I guess it restarted by itself, probably because of a new update from Windows).

So I had the option to re-start from the last known settings that worked, tried that, the screen just went blank and nothing happened, and it wouldn't re-start windows normally either when I powered it back on.

Basically I tried all of the options it listed and nothing worked, so I powered it back on again, hit F10 and tried to restore the system from that screen. Again, the screen went blank and nothing happened. So my last option that I see is to do a system recovery, lose all my files and data, and start over with the same computer.

I'm on my laptop now and the PC is in the proccess of recovering. To be honest I doubt that will work properly either, but just in case it does, is it true that you can recover files after this proccess using certain software? Does anyone have any recomendations on this?

I will probably go ahead and just get another desktop eventually, but it would be nice to get the files off of this one if possible. Is this possible?