Old 04-13-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Short Stack Play

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Short Stack Play options:

1. Raise
2. Raise ALLIN
3. Fold

NO CALLING/LIMPING!!!! And don't call raises preflop. RERAISE ALLIN or FOLD. Being shortstacked, the only implieds you should be thinking about is when YOU should be going allin.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is preciesly my point, when short stacked you're basically all-in or fold. thus reducing many situations to a coin flip. Ex...lets say I hold A.K. on the button, with 3 limpers and I move in...I'm basically 60-40 to win against any random holding.

That's why i suggested that the advantage of short stacking don't seem to apply to an experienced player like myself, because as an earlier poster stated, i can achieve a higher win rate with a bigger stack when I have the opportunity to take some implied odds situations/play some poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, you really ought to quit calling people idiots when you are asking for help. Don't bite the hand that feeds you and all.

At any rate, your AK is 60-40 against any reasonable holding. However, what hands are likely to call you if you are in position and seen two limpers. Perhaps large stacks with dry Aces or maybe AJ-AQ, in which you would be 70-30 or so. Also, with AK vs an underpair you are about 45-55, but with say two limpers plus SB and BB as well as the fold equity limpers get for their hand, they may well just hand it to you without a fight. In any event, only rarely will you be at a big disadvantage. Plus, if you make these moves in position and raise JUST enough to get it heads-up with one caller, you could still bail if the flop looks sick and the villian puts the rest of your stack in. At any rate, only one of the situations above is a coin-flip really, and I feel like your expectation with the correct move would more often than not be higher than 60-40 given the above (but hell, 60-40 is still pretty good).

And of course you won't just be moving with AK either.

However, you are right, in general an experienced player (say one of the two best players at a table during a session) probably would do better to just avoid this strategy. Still yet, if you can't achieve +EV with it, I doubt you are implementing the strategy correctly.