Thread: Pregnant GF
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2007, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Pregnant GF

[ QUOTE ]
jack, it is her body, so it is her choice. However, when she has the kid, the kid has a father that becomes financially responsible for the kid. If you get a girl pregnant you can't honestly expect her to have an abortion or release you from your responsibility. That is not the way it works and it is not the way it should work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it isn't how things work, I disagree that this isn't how things SHOULD work.

This is really a tough situation to be in. On one side, the mistake was caused by both parties (as both have the responsibility for birth control). The "remedy", whether it is an abortion or the birth of a child, is solely in the hands of the female and this is what I am arguing to be a flaw in our societal norms.

Having children is much more than just bearing a fetus to term and "popping it out". There are years and years of responsibilites associated with this and anyone who takes it lightly will suffer the consequences. For most those consequences are literaly life changing and while I don't want to argue whether the change is a positive or a negative one (this, usually being in the eye of the beholder), it is definitley not the life one planned before pregnancy occured.

FWIW, I am 32, married (no kids yet, by choice) and have long despised this practice of forcing the biological father (and many times not necessarily the biological father, just the mothers partner) to be responsible finacially (can't be forced to be responsible emotionally) for the well being of the child when they didn't want it, can't afford it and have an easy and safe way to dispose of it.

I will make the argument that if women were put to the question of either being solely responsible for a child or aborting the fetus, there would be a SIGNIFICANT decrease in children being born to parents who are neither financially nor emotionally ready to care for them. Sure there would be a generation of single moms (who still think the old way is best) who would suffer, but there wouldn't be another one.