View Single Post
Old 04-13-2007, 03:56 AM

Default Re: How often do you mess up?

I'd like to hear from more of the ballas on this. I personally am terrible at playing my best, and I'm not talking about tilt at all (though I do that once in a while). It's more like what Stinger mentioned; almost immediately after certain decisions, I realize that had I thought about it just a bit more, I'd have picked a better play. I know this is about focus, and I'm seriously trying meditation as a route to focusing better, but in my case so far, this is slow going.

Anyway, I always add up the plays that I made that I know better than to make, but just didn't for whatever reason, in a session, and it's scary how much money I've given away like that. This is especially true, given how many of the decisions involve play on the river, when either me or my opponent is "drawing dead." And to be clear, I'm not talking about misreads; I mean mistakes GIVEN the read I had at the time.

Bottom line for me: I play live poker 3 days/week, ~25 hours/week, with the odd trip thrown in where I play a ton (like last week in Vegas), and I have played 3 sessions since December that I am confident I didn't leave over 50 BBs on the table due to unforced errors. Looked at as a percentage of sessions, that means I'm batting like .125, which is acceptable to a Cubs fan, but otherwise gross.