View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Sushi trip reports - starting w/ Kiss Seafood in SF

Had Club Sushi in Hermosa Beach last night. We mostly just stopped in for apps and a drink - not the full sushi experience. I've lived in the area for almost 7 years and never tried it. Fairly expensive and small portions. Nothing special. 8 small pieces of tuna sashimi for $13 seems a little high to me. Pieces were maybe .5 x .5 x 2 inches - does that seem like enough? A couple custom spicy rolls that were decent. The fried calamari was fairly rubbery and tasteless.

BUT - if you do go, get the apple pastry dessert thing. Mmmmmmmm. I may go back just for that. It's a flat apple turnover covered with a layer of carmelized sugar like the crust from creme brule (best part) - topped with two scoops of ice cream and a lot of hot caramel sauce.

I do plan to go back to the "Sushi Nazi" (Sushi Nozawa) in the valley very soon, and I'll be sure to provide a full TR. This is one of the best sushi places in LA. I've been there once before a few years ago, w/o knowing the full reputation, and thought it was the best sushi I've ever had.

Basically everyone just gets the special and *supposedly* he'll kick you out if you try to order a California roll. The biggest difference I noticed about it was that the rice was warm, which I can't remember ever experiencing at a sushi place. Really seemed add to the taste. Also the special was very tuna-heavy the night I went. Which suits me perfect.

Oh yeah, another GREAT deal is Miyagi's on Sunset Strip on a Tuesday night. 2 for 1 on everything. I've never been so stuffed on sushi.