View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: \"My dad left us...\"

Thanks for the responses.

I don't think I should get into the deal-breaker event, but if you think the worst thing one parent could say or do to another parent that's worse than infidelity... yeah.

My ex has big problems with going into rages when she gets angry. Her anger is either at 0 or 10, there's no middle ground with her. When she's not mad she talks about not arguing in front of the baby, having a code phrase for when one of us thinks it's getting out of hand so we can take it to another room or wait for the baby to go to bed, etc... but when she gets pissed, all that goes out the window.

When I said I was leaving I got her to promise to never try to turn my daughter against me or use her as a weapon to hurt me. She made it almost an entire month. I was proud of her.

I think you guys/gals have mirrored my fears and resolve in this issue. I fear that a little kid who constantly hears the same thing will eventually start to believe it. But I have also resolved to always be a part of her life and set a good example in not bad-mouthing her mother.

I also understand that our relationships will be cyclical. Right now she's daddy's girl and very vocally chooses to be with daddy over mommy. Thankfully--and surprisingly--her mother doesn't get upset about this. But as she gets older she'll get closer to her mother until her mid teens, when she'll probably hate us both, and on into her adult years when her mother may be her best friend.