View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Common Critical Situation on Flop: To raise or not to raise TPTK?

[ QUOTE ]
for a ninja bump this is a good thread

[/ QUOTE ]

//

I understand calling as a default play, especially four way and deeper than 100bb. And I think I follow some of the free-card-like raise flop, check behind turn or raise turn/check behind river ideas.

Doesn't never raising AQ in this situation make your range too narrow? Assuming you weren't the raiser, so AA-KK probably are out, {set, 76s, gutshot/bluff} v {set, 76s, TPTK, gutshot/bluff}. Range 2 you get to bluff more! Or, if people think you have range 1 when you raise and bluff too much on later streets, maybe you get max value from KQ or JJ by raising the flop.

Edit: Also, if your range includes strong one pair hands, like AQ here, meaning you are generally raising more often in position than with the smaller non-AQ range, isn't that a good thing? Especially 300bb deep where you can raise the flop without committing a large percentage of stacks, even w.r.t. exponential pot growth (because you are in position you can usually control whether that flop raise is stack committing, making the raised pot more comfortable for you than your opponent.