View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Anarchocapitalism = economic totalitarianism?

[ QUOTE ]
The major cause of depopulation of natives in the Americas was due to disease. This is not disputed by any historian.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to derail this thread, but I think you are being revisionist. The same wiki article will note that low numbers for the amount of indigineous people killed in the Americas by European invaders is between 2 and 15 million with high estimates around 100 million.

I'm not arguing that the introduction of all kinds of microbes that people had never been exposed to (after all Europe had recently been through a number of epidemics at that point in history) didn't also cause large scale death, but claiming that Europeans basically just pitched their tents and staked their claims to empty land is simply not true.

but of course, societies that have highly evolved methods of reciprocity and gift giving and don't believe in private property make bad trading partners

"They are so artless and free with all they possess, that no one would believe it without having seen it. Of anything they have, if you ask them for it, they never say no; rather they invite the person to share it, and show as much love as if they were giving their hearts; and whether the thing be of value or small price, at once they are content with whatever little thing of whatever kind may be given them." -C Columbus-