View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Sercurity in an AC society

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK suppose the whole world becomes Anarcho-capitalist. What's to stop some rebels from building an Army and annexing a few thousand acres or hiring mercenaries and taking over a continent or two?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basic self-interest. It is in some people's interest to take over and control everyone's lives while it is in everyone else's interest to stop them. If individuals in a society are truly against oppression then it would be very difficult for one group to conquer everyone else.

The case you describe is very similar to US action in Vietnam. Note, though, that the US military was coercively funded and used involuntary labor (this would be very difficult in a society which values freedom) to pursue its conquest of Southeast Asia and STILL failed. It also benefited from patriotism/chauvinism etc...

Here is a question for you: how do you propose that someone funds this continental conquest?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um... Pillage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich people are much, much harder to pillage than poor people. It's no wonder the Mongols were able to pwn all those villages, the people at the time didn't have the resources to stop them. In much the same way, you have warlords in Africa pillaging all the impoverished people in their tents today...but let them try that in Beverly Hills, and they'll be dead on the ground [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that. If the Crips decide to all jump in their lowriders and hit Beverly hills I think they could hit a couple of mansions before their time ran out and they had to run.... I wonder if we could make a Reality series about this....