View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 12:15 AM

Default Re: theblackkeys\' \"Starting Strength\" log

I skipped my heavy lifting workout today. I think about two weeks worth of basically just squats and deadlifts every other day was going to burn me out. I was dreading my heavy workout all day.

I did do some jogging at the park today, about 2 miles. It was pretty difficult, but I haven't run in months, so it's ok to work up to more speed/distance. Many times before I've gone too fast too far and I end up aggravating my shin splints or hurting my injury prone ankle.

I'm sure my weight had something to do with the difficulty too. My legs felt real tight, and I could feel my front outer thigh muscle get sore, I think it's called the Vastus Lateralis (Externus). Anyways, I took a little break in between to stretch myself out and let the muscles recuperate a little.

Afterwards, I took my wife's two purple 8 lb dumbells and did a tabata squat workout with them. I've never done this and it was extremely difficult near the end.

20 seconds of squats holding dumbells near my upper chest, 10 seconds rest. Repeat for 4 minutes total.

Reps each set were:
14, 14, 9, 8, 8, 5!, 6, 6.