Thread: AMD
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Re: AMD

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. IMO the multicore approach is basically an admittance of an architectural limitation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your opinion is in the minority and without elaboration on your part, I strongly disagree.

Jason,

Please understand that the Yahoo message boards are almost always populated by people who are full of [censored]. If they told me the sky was blue, I'd go out and check for myself.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

The x86 architecture has been around 25+ some years. I don't think there have been significant advancements in the architectural space in x86 for a while. A majority of the improvements have been die shrinks, pipeline/prefetching tweaks, and moving more components onto the die all in the fight against heat and latency. The physical limitations are already starting to show which is why the transition to multicore was so quickly adopted. I guess I should have rephrased my statement to say that the limitation is both architectural and physical.

Just curious, but what's the majority opinion on the reasons for the transition to multicore processors?

QFT on the last part.